Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's the first time like?

It's been four years since my first trip to Bowen Hills to pray outside the abortion clinic, and I still remember it very clearly - daunting, powerful, humbling.

Here's another person who wrote to us to tell us what her first time this year was like:

“I had not been to pray outside an abortion clinic before. I had seen some footage and read a fair amount of news from various marches, rallies and protests for the right to life around the world, and as far as 40 Days for Life went, I did not really know what to expect.

With a little encouragement from a friend, I signed up for my first prayer shift at Bowen Hills abortion clinic. I thought that it may have been too out of the way as I was travelling by public transport, however it was only a very short walk up the road from the train station and much easier to get to than I originally thought.

As I walked towards the clinic I felt a little nervous not really knowing what to expect. I didn’t know if I was going to get abuse hurled at me from some people driving by on the busy roads or perhaps some food thrown at me! Once I arrived, I took out my rosary and umbrella (it was close to midday) and began my hour and a half of prayers for the unborn, mothers, fathers and those who work in the abortion industry. As I stood there praying, a lady driving by honked encouragingly, smiled and waved. During my shift no one went into the clinic as a patient. However, many cars drove by and some of the workers in the clinic went in and out.

Before long, my shift was drawing to a close. 3pm came and I began more prayers as I stared up at the heavily tinted windows of the clinic knowing that while the people inside may have decided to dislike me and the people driving by may have not even noticed me, to God who is bigger than the culture of death no prayer goes unheard. This gave me a new sense of hope in the fight for life and I thanked God for hearing my feeble prayers and the prayers all over the world that are saving the lives of the most vulnerable.

As I walked back to the train station, I began to think of my week ahead and when I would next be free to pray outside the clinic. Even if a piece of rotted fruit is thrown my way or I am abused by some passers-by next time, human life is worth taking it for.” - Catherine

Maybe your first time will be the same - to find out more, please go to http://www.40daysforlife.com/brisbane or send us an e-mail at 40daysbrisbane@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment